[Cube] Need help with Cube gfx problem

Riba riba at ml1.net
Sun Oct 9 08:11:57 PDT 2005

Hello Dan,

> http://www.geocities.com/dan_macmillan/gfxproblem.jpg
>
> The small square near the middle is the cursor, and it moves with
> the mouse.
>
> After using the computer for times that vary between 5 minutes and
> an hour
> this screen always reappears. What's interesting is that only the
> gfx are
> messed up; the Cube contines to run as normal in the background.
>
> The room is always kept to 72 or 73 degrees.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

What you saw was a "kernel panic" which is most often caused by the
hardware malfunction, external USB devices or bad RAM. According to
your description, it looks as if it iwas caused by the geforce card
overheating because of the failed cooler, and it may have damaged
something along the way, although I'd say it is not likely. It also
looks like your ATI card is damaged as well - the screenshot you
showed is a typical symptom of a bad RAM on the graphic card. You
haven't experienced messed-up display with the geforce card, right?
What I'd do, it is replace the fan on the geforce card, and put it
back in. I would also remove all the RAM sticks from the Cube and
test with one at a time (it may be that the heat generated by the
geforce card damaged one of them leading to the kernel panic error.
You may try that with an ATI, but you may be daling with two
unreleate dthings here (ATI display messed up beacuse of the bad
card, and kernel panics caused by something else).