[Cube] Re: FTP client for Panther?

atoa atoa at krak.net
Sun Oct 9 14:06:51 PDT 2005

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Andrew in Ann Arbor wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2005, at 22:40, cube-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
>> From: atoa atoa krak.net
>> Subject: Re: [Cube] FTP client for Panther?
>>
>> You don't need an FTP client. FTP is an entirely different protocol from
>> HTTP. Unless your friend has an ftp server running, and has given you
>> access, Fetch, splat-k, Transmit and CLI ftp won't get you in.
>>
>> wget is what you need.
>
> Pardon me, it's been a while since I used FTP.
> On the bottom of his web page it says:
>
> "FTP INFORMATION - More savvy users should feel free to use an FTP client to
> download recordings from the Archive."
>
> so I assumed I needed an FTP client.

Given what he says, an FTP client will work.

> What is wget?

http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html

"GNU Wget is a free software package for retrieving files using HTTP,
HTTPS and FTP, the most widely-used Internet protocols. It is a
non-interactive commandline tool, so it may easily be called from scripts,
cron jobs, terminals without X-Windows support, etc."

For your purposes, wget could well be more efficient than an ftp client,
whether being used for ftp or http transfer.
But it is most often used for grabbing large numbers of files from http
servers, when ftp isn't an option.