[Cube] nVidia 5200/5500 anyone?

Riba riba at ml1.net
Thu Oct 20 08:24:35 PDT 2005

On 2005.10.06, at 19:18, Hal wrote:

> Is anyone running an nVidia Geforce 5200 or 5500 in their Cube? I
> realize that doing so generally requires flashing the ROM on a PC
> version, but I've been considering this for some time. I'm
> currently running a Radeon 7500 and would like a bump in
> performance. I'd like to do so with as little collateral impact as
> possible (i.e. VRM move, case swap, etc.). I also run an Apple 20"
> Cinema Display with ADC, though I should be able to get a DVI-ADC
> adapter to sort that out.
>
> I'd be curious to know what card you're using, how hard it was to
> get up and running, what monitor you use, and general impressions.

I just investigated the same thing. It looks like the card would fit
in the Cube without DC board relocation, and can be flashed for Mac
(5200 that is). However, the reports often state problems with DVI
output, and they say it gets hot as hell. Eventually I decided that
it is not worth the trouble.