[Cube] Dual 1.5 PL Cube Upgrade - Can you trust them?

Steven Southerden Dive aptn05 at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Sep 5 12:28:33 PDT 2005

I've just put one of these into my Cube, and it's working well. As I
intend to keep the Cube until it's antique, I will be happy to keep
upgrading it for as long as the bits & pieces are available. OWC sent
the PL CPU to me in the UK, arriving 4 days after the order was
placed. The £/$ exchange helps, too. IMHO, if you want to keep the
Cube as a working system, and appreciate it's design, you'd be the
fool not to upgrade it. But if you only see it as a workhorse, don't .

Start-up/re-start is very fast as is everything else (OS 10.4.2). The
Cube runs much cooler, and idling it's almost cold, so its power
saving system seems to work well. At the moment, the internal sensor
reports 51deg C with Seti at home running, plus Safari, Mail, CopyPaste
& Windoze Media Player (so apart from Seti, which is CPU intensive,
nothing heavy duty). Room temp is 26 deg C. I haven't tried 'sleep'
yet, as my original PL 1GHz (+ NVIDIA GF2MX 32 MB) would fail to wake
from deep sleep.

Steve