[Cube] Netgear not neatgear

Morning, A.J. phoenix at cybernothing.org
Sun Sep 18 18:01:13 PDT 2005

Quoth Helen Lowe :

> I have been using a Netgear Router, ethernet cable to Cube and wireless to
> iBook. All OK until a week ago, when the internet connection went down. The
> networking still works.

    Sounds like the problem is with your internet feed, rather than your
router.

> After much time and angst spent following various instructions in the Manual
> and on the Netgear website, I gave up and rang customer support.

    I've never had to deal with Netgear's tech support, but if they're
anything like Linksys (which makes equipment I'd highly recommend to
anyone), well, the hardware's great, but the support blows goats.

> I was told to download a "Recover utility" and a firmware upgrade, which I
> did - only to find these are Windows applications - in spite of the fact
> that I'd told them I was Mac-only.

    Like I said, lousy support. Unfortunately, I think you made the wrong
call. I'd set about removing the network from the equation, with just ONE
machine connected directly to the modem (be it cable or DSL), and see if you
get link. If not, call your ISP.

    Taking the network down saves you about the first hour's worth of
troubleshooting. A good tech will thank you for that.

> So be warned, don't go wireless with Netgear!

    Nothing wrong with Netgear that isn't wrong with just about any hardware
manufacturer. They make good stuff, but their support is just lousy. The
tech should have encouraged you to first deal with your ISP to make sure
you've got an internet feed, and then tech it back from there to your
router.

Cheers,
A.J.