[Cube] Re: Netgear not neatgear

Riba riba at ml1.net
Wed Sep 21 01:40:01 PDT 2005

> Thomas came up with the goods, ran the recovery, and I've just got
> it back
> up and running. So that's a relief ... I was rather dreading having
> to come
> up with more cash.

Good to hear that! :)

> Yes Riba was right, it was a DSL "modem" from the provider but I
> use the
> router instead. I didn't know the DSL thing is not really a modem.
> What is
> it then?

It is....umm... a DSL "thingie" :)))))
It's quite simple actually, modem comes from "MODulator DEModulator".
Modems were used to modulate the digital signal into analog one to be
transferred over the traditional analog phone lines, and to
demodulate the incoming signal. Since DSL line is a digital one, no
modulation or demodulation is taking place. However, since the device
appears to perform the similar function as the traditional modem did,
people still tend to call it a "modem".
I've got a question though, I wasn't aware of any USB DSL "modems"
that were working on a Mac? You got any idea who is the manufacturer
of yours? Thanks!