[Cube] New HardDrive

Doug Forman dougforman at mac.com
Thu Aug 17 17:34:58 PDT 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 5:26 PM, Francois wrote:

> Hey Guys (and Girls),
> Just want to ask about a new HD I'm considering, and you should to
> at these prices ($CAD)
> Will this Hard drive work with an unmodded G4 Cube? is the power
> requirements, heat output acceptable? is the ATA/100 Interface okay?
> Thanks.
>

> http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?
> PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=8
> 113&SID=
>
> Here are the general specs:
>
> Seagate 320GB Barracuda 7200.10 ATA w/ 16MB Cache

Sorry, no.  Without doing fancy HD partitioning, the maximum size
hard disk that the system firmware in a Cube recognizes is 120gb.
The good news is that they are very cheap.  No problem hooking up an
EXTERNAL bigger hard drive (Firewire or USB) to a Cube (except you
can't boot to an external USB drive on a cube, nor can you boot to an
external Firewire drive greater than 120gb I don't believe...)

Good luck!

-doug