[Cube] Total Cube Newbie!

Andrew Strouse kittstr at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 21 20:02:57 PST 2006

Hi all.  I found a mac g4 cube sitting by the side of the road (in the trash).  I have been out of the "mac loop" for 10-15 years (my last mac was a mac classic) but it looked so pathetic sitting there so I picked it up.  When I got it home I plugged my usb keyboard and usb mouse in and my vga display.  Then I touched the power button and the little bugger roared to life.  Then it just sat there with a big gray apple on a white screen with a little swirling pinwheel thing.  When I googled this, it said to reboot with command-v to get to the boot messages and it stops dead after it says:

/etc/rc: line 283:  147 Hangup        SystemStarter -gr ${VerboseFlag} ${SafeBoot}

So, my question is what does this mean and how can I fix it?  I don't have any disks or manuals, etc.  Should I go out and buy OS X and reinstall?  Is there something simple I can try first?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Andrew Strouse
( kittstr at kittstr.com )