[Cube] Cube won't boot

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Feb 4 20:08:58 PST 2006

On 4 February, 2006, at 5:53:08, Melanie Weidner wrote:

> I recently put a dual layer MCE burner in my cube.  I'm still
> running OS9 and the original 500mHZ processor.
> I went to burn a DVD today, the task did not complete locking up my
> computer causing me to reboot.
> The computer now only boots to a gray screen.
> Tried ejecting disc by firmware prompts and holding mouse button.
> No sucess.

Does the eject sequence make any sounds, like it is trying to eject
but can't?
This may sound extreme, but have you tried removing the computer
mechanism from the cube box and trying to boot? I found one instance
of the drive not being properly aligned in the chassis which caused
the disk to jam against the lip of the disk slot during the attempt
to eject.

Other information that may help diagnose the problem:

Were you able to boot to that drive in the past? Is the drive Apple
compatible?

The DVD that you tried to burn - was it a bootable system backup disk
you were trying to create?
It is  likely that you have a corrupted disk caused by the burn
failure. That would cause a conflict in the boot sequence and stop
the sequence before it could complete.