[Cube] maintenance issues, Onyx and Cube running tiger

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Mon Feb 27 10:49:45 PST 2006

Me too - As my video card has sleep issues the machine is "always on"
like Ken,  I have the display going to sleep after 15 minutes. The
upside is it always appears on the network. I have a number of
computers (AI portable, son's iMac, new iMac G5) airported throughout
the house with the Cube sequestered in the studio with a laser
printer attached which is also always on and sleeping. It is nice to
have any of them print to the Cube and the laser printer. In
addition, I use Netopia's Timbuktu and visually bring up all the
different machines on each other's monitor's. Tres cool.

The Cube is the only computer I can't sell. I recently bought an iMac
G5 2.1 GHz (iSight model) as I wanted a PPC G5 with AppleCare before
they all ended up running on InSmel's. I have too much invested in
pro PPC software to go down the Intel/hell upgrade road - yet. I
fully thought I would sell the upgraded Cube. (have it maxed out with
RAM, 120 Gb Barracuda, upgraded video card, Sonnet 1.2 GHz processor
etc. Dual monitors. But then couldn't bear to part with it. Ha. Only
time this has happened with any computer I have owned. These Cubes do
find a place in our visual heart. As nice as the iMac G5 is (running
a firmware patch that allows dual monitor spanning/virtual desktop
across the 20" internal and a 20" NEC in portrait mode) the Cube
doesn't have to make an apologies as it still feels pretty darn zippy
by comparison.

Didn't mean to ramble.

Rod
"My addiction isn't drugs or alcohol - it is more expensive... my Mac's"