[Cube] Can the Mac Mini handle graphic Design?

Stefan no-spam at punkt-x.de
Sat Jan 14 03:04:41 PST 2006

Hi Martin,

some weeks ago I had the opportunity to compare my cube (1.5 GHz
Upgrade of GigaDesign, Geforce 4 mx, 1,5 GB RAM) for a longer time
with the fastest Mac mini 1,42 GHz and 80 GB HD, 1 GB RAM.

Although I like the Mac mini very much and enjoyed to work with it, I
would answer: Definitely NO for your purposes.

Yet I intend to buy a Mac mini with these specs for daily work (and
fun too... :-), but it's really a little bit too slowly for more, -
even compared with my  now also "antique" cube. In several situations
(your wishes would be everyday's situation!) I got the impression,
the mini seems to hesitate to begin working. The rainbow-circle is no
rare event.... Yet , the mini is very good for all SOHO-works: calm,
needs nearly no power, good graphics on my 20' Apple TFT, it can run
as my fax-server around the clock etc.

I didn't work with an exterial FW-drive but don't think this would be
an important difference (I'm interested to read about other
experiences).

It's a pitty with the mini.
But you'll need a faster machine!

Wish you a good decision, Martin