[Cube] Onyx Error detected while rebuilding the whatis database of X11R6?

Andrew andrewaa at comcast.net
Fri Jul 28 21:07:39 PDT 2006

Hello all
I've got a 450 MHz cube running 10.3.9 (panther).
The cube sleeps overnight so I've been running Onyx (ver. 1.5.2) weekly.
In the last month or so I've been getting error messages.
A look at the log shows an "Error detected while rebuilding the whatis
database of X11R6"
Repairing permissions with Disk Utility makes no difference.

Here's the error log:

- Verifying and repairing permissions (Mac OS X)
- Optimizing the System
- Executing the Daily script
- Executing the Weekly script
- Executing the Monthly script
- Correcting permissions of the file: install.log
- Correcting permissions of the file: wtmp
- Error detected while rebuilding the whatis database of X11R6.
- Updating the LaunchServices database

After running Onyx with all the options:
verify and repair permissions in OS X (classic is not installed)
complete optimization
daily, weekly, monthly scripts
Update Locate, Whatis os OS X, Whatis of X11R6 and Launch Services
databases.

I can sometimes clear the error by running Onyx repeatedly with just
"Update Whatis of X11R6" selected.

What shoud I do next?

Andrew in Ann Arbor
technology is the answer, what was the question?