[Cube] Cube Giga CPU replacement question

Michael Blossom blossom at megsinet.net
Fri Jun 23 15:19:46 PDT 2006

Since the CubeOwner forums are down, I'll try this email list -- I'd
appreciate your opinions.

Two years ago, I bought a Giga 1.2 Ghz (7455) upgrade with L3 cache.
It was great for a while, then failed.  I sent it back, and Tim at Giga
is offering me a choice of a free 1.3 Ghz *without* L3 cache (also
7455), or a $133 credit toward a 1.8 Ghz 7447, which would bring the
price to $166.

If I take the free 1.3, I only get the one remaining year on my
warranty.  If I take the discount on the 1.8, I'll get the full
three-year warranty on the new processor.

First question:  Is this a fair offer?  If the 1.3 had L3 cache, it
would seem fair to me, but without it I'm not sure if I'm getting a
replacement that's not as good as what I paid a lot more for a couple
of years ago.

Second question:  If it is a fair offer, which should I take?

Thanks,
Mike