[Cube] Stock Cube and Nano

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Dec 28 11:42:51 PST 2007

On Dec 26, 2007, at 3:58 PM, Mark Plunkett wrote:

> Tried to upgrade cube to Tiger, using the OS discs from the iMac,
> but would not install.

If you check the system requirements for OS-10.5, you will see that
your Cube does not have a fast enough processor to install that
version of OS without doing some tricks.

What you need is a 866MHz or faster G4 or above Mac with a DVD drive
in it. You connect the Cube with that Mac with a FireWire cable and
start the Cube in Target Mode by holding down the "T" key while
starting up. Start the fast Mac with the OS-10.5 DVD inserted, it will
begin the installation procedure just like normal.

During the first steps of the installation, you MUST select the hard
drive in the Cube as your installation destination. From there on, it
is just a normal installation procedure.

If you want to save some space on your hard drive, do a "Custom
Install" and do not select the parts of OS-10.5 that you do not need
or want. By doing a custom install, you can shrink OS-10.5 down to
almost half the "Easy Install" size. You also get rid of the language
translators and printer drivers that you don't have the need for.

I used this method to install Leopard on a 400MHz G4 without any
problems. It does run a bit slower than my G5 PPC, but that is
acceptable considering the age of the G4.

As to the problem with your Nano, I have no answer. My 30G Video iPod
works perfectly with my new MacBookPro, and it is more than a year old
now.