[Cube] Thinking about a upgrade

Riba riba at ml1.net
Thu Feb 1 00:33:54 PST 2007

On 2007.02.01, at 07:53, Francois wrote:

> Okay...
> So, I've come to the realization (after using a new iMac for some
> time) that I want a faster computer... not necessarily want, but it
> would be nice to scrub pdf's and itunes windows with out hiccups.
> so any suggestions on processor upgrades? or Graphics card
> upgrades? Im looking for 3 things. 1 want to be able to run no fan.
> ( i live in canada and the room where i have the computer never
> exceeds 25C ) should be cheap - are the upgrades available used
> yet? hopefully around 3-$400. and reliable. i remember hearing that
> powerlogics had a 1.3Ghz that had lots of problems.

Francois - we are in the same boat, I'm also considering a CPU
upgrade. However, I have noticed that the choices on the market are
much fewer with each passing day. Actually, at the moment you can
only get Sonnet and Powerlogix 1.6 - 1.8 GHz upgrades. I was aiming
for 1.2, but they are not available, I was also unable to find any
Cube upgrades from Giga anywhere.
You will also need a fan for these upgrades, but I already put one in
few years back when I upgraded the hard drive.
I haven't seen any used upgrades, but new ones are around $350-$450 (US)