[Cube] Fading Display or burned out video card

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Jul 10 01:07:55 PDT 2007

On 10 Jul, 2007, at 12:14 AM, Riba wrote:

> On 2007.07.09, at 16:55, David Iverson wrote:
>
>> I have a Cube with a stock 500Mhz CPU, a Ge3 card, maxed out
>> memory, and 120GB drive, fully updated 10.4.1.
>>
>> In the last week or so, at boot, it started showing a black screen
>> with a message in multiple languages to restart the computer.
>>
>> Now, it is only fully booting occasionally and even when it does,
>> the display is flecked with off-color specks in a linear pattern.
>>
>> I am thinking the card is giving out, and I don’t have a
>> convenient way to swap out and test it – anybody have any thoughts
>> on whether it is the card or the display?
>
> I suspect that the cooling fan on your GF3 card gave up, and the
> card is overheating now.

It could also be the monitor itself is failing. Try the cube with a
different monitor to duplicate the effect. If duplicated, it is the
card. If not duplicated, it's the monitor.

As to the issue of the black screen, you are experiencing kernel
panics at startup. You probably have a corrupted installation of the
system on your cube. Do you really mean "OS 10.4.1", or do you mean
"OS 10.4.10"?

If your monitor problem gets resolved, try doing a new install of the
system using Archive and Install but do not transfer your user
settings so you can avoid any conflict or corruption in the
preferences, extensions, etc.