[Cube] New (to me) Cube Locks Up

Stefan no-spam at punkt-x.de
Wed Jul 18 23:13:23 PDT 2007

Hi Rick,

cubes seem to have an individual life. That's my impression...

I own two cubes.
My first, upgraded to 1.5 GHz, max RAM and a GeForce 4MX runs without
severe problems for several years now.
The other, bought half a year ago, can not be updated to OS-X 10.4.X,
that's my impression.

Of course I looked for the firmware: it's the actual/last one.
Cause I must not use OS-X with the second cube, I run it with OS 9.

My ideas/theories to your problem:

Test the RAM-modules. May be one of them is not compatible and after
a time of usage not only the first, but also the second and third
module is used. Then the cube could crash. (If changing the RAM to
several slots makes a difference, it might be the reason. Or remove
two modules and test them single for a while. Last idea is best one -
IMHO)

Non-compatibility seems to have several reasons.
Under OS 9 there was a tool to test RAM. May its results have no
sense for OS-X...

I can't imagine the cube becomes too hot.
But if you live in a hot region (Arizona in summer?), the cube is
standing in the sun, the ventilation is "sub-optimal", that might be
a reason. There are recommended temperatures for working with cubes
too.
When my fast cube's fan was defect it froze regularly. Becoming cold
everything was OK again, - for a while.
Tip: If you restart immediately after freezing and the cube runs
after restart again for hours and hours it can't be overheating, I
think.

I'll go on thinking about your problem
- Good luck, Rick.

Stefan - from germany

Yet a sentence:
Cubes are very satisfying too.
Excellent build quality: stainless steel interior for example