[Cube] New (to me) Cube Locks Up

Rick Mansfield rmansfield at mac.com
Thu Jul 19 09:01:26 PDT 2007

Right now, I'm thinking it was the hard drive sleep issue. Fonts
could be a problem, but on a fresh erase and install, I think it
might be a longshot.

Although I use my MacBook most of the time, my goal is to get the
Cube up an running as our main home desktop computer. In fact, since
the Cube is more expandable, I am willing to replace the 2002 emac
that has been in this position for a while.

Truth is that I've always had a bit of techno-lust for the Cube. Back
in 2000 when they were first announced, I was teaching at a high
school. I asked permission to provide my own computer for my
classroom and was planning to get the Cube. Then, when the pricing
was announced, I just felt it was too far outside my ballpark, and
settled on a new iMac which I have long since parted with.

At the same time, I had a friend who served at a church who got the
Cube with church budget funds. It fell into disuse about three years
ago because of this constant locking up issue. So a few weeks ago I
offered the church $100 and they finally accepted.

I'm excited to finally have my Cube, seven years late. I'm hoping
that it can be a longterm project to upgrade the processor, video
card and optical drive. That is, if the freezing/lock-up issue has
now been resolved.

I'll put the Cube through its paces tonight as I begin transferring
files and loading applications. But so far, no freezes in well over
12 hours.

Rick