[Cube] Fwd: repost: monitor does not turn on

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Apr 4 20:29:02 PDT 2008

On 3 Apr, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Chris Weiss wrote:

> You set the HD to be the slave? I thought the HD needed to be the
> Master on the IDE chain and the CD/DVD needs to be the slave?
> Although, I think if you had them mis-wired, you'd get a picture with
> the Mac with the blinking question mark on it (as it can't find an OS
> to boot from).

The trick is to identify each device separately. One has to be the
Master and the other to be the Slave. It doesn't really matter which
is identified as which, just as long as they are different.

If you have two devices (hard drive, cd drive, zip drive, etc) on the
same ribbon with the same identification, you will get a conflict and
failure to properly startup.

The only way to avoid this identity problem is to separately identify
each device or to use Cable Select when available. Warning: Some older
machines will not accept Cable Select as the identification choice and
Master/Slave must be used on them.