[Cube] "new" to me G4 Cube

John Flood kb1fqg at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 13:24:38 PST 2008

What have I done???  There it was at the yard sale proud yet lonely, not a single case crack and alongside of it was the flat LCD studio display.  "We couldn't get it to power up this morning" was the reply to the age old hosstrading question.'does it work?'  It followed me home with the USB speakers keyboard, optical mouse, and some sort of zip drive.

The power supply turned out to be dead.  I salvaged the cable, and hooked up the beast to a 19" rack mount 28volt supply I use with my military radios.  Ahhhhhhh, the happy mac sound.  I had returned from a long trip to the dark side.  450MHz with 320meg ram  Speedy little thing for it's age.  I had always wanted one of these but never could gather up the money back then.  All the memories came back, my used Lisa with a hard drive!, the classic 128 with a later added second FDD, ahhh do I miss swapping floppies, well perhaps not.  The PB100 the first day they became available I'd say the most I ever paid for a new computer, and boy I used it for years and learned to hate AOL.

It locks up a bit web brousing when pages ask it to do things it's sw can't do but I'd like to help it out a bit.  Anyone still on this list able to suggest a good version of OS10 for this beast and where one might find it these days?  Ebay comes to mind.  Now I'll have to learn to resist the processor upgrades.  At the very least its a neat little DVD player

thanks for any suggestions,

John