[Cube] Confession...

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Fri Mar 6 01:27:41 PST 2009

The bottom line in all of this is that Apple has never made a real
replacement for the Cube.  Each of us has to figure out what their
needs are, and NO WAY a Cube could be my main machine anymore, but the
Mini's lack of upgradability made it unworthy as well.  Since I want a
DESKTOP to run 23" and 30" displays, I went for a G5, which I can
upgrade just a ton.. but it's big.  WAY big compared to a Cube.  It
sure is a joy to work inside of, though.  Lots of room, and hardly any
tools needed for most upgrades.  It really is a brilliant design, BUT
IT'S BIG and it has fans.  Nice, quiet fans, but I can still hear
them, so they aren't suitable for a recording booth where I want to
have a DYI recording remote system.  Even the Mini has a fan, for
crying out loud.

I know the market these days is in mobile form factors, but I still
think there is room for a desktop solution between the Mini and the
Mac Pro in terms of upgradable component systems, but Apple doesn't
think so, so I guess I must be wrong.  I've just never been attracted
to the iMac and my romance with the Mini didn't work out (Story of my
life. LOL!).

When I wanted a couple of backup machines, however, the first thing I
thought of was getting a couple of Cubes and upgrading them.  They are
still the coolest design Apple ever came up with, so I plan to use
them as backups just as long as possible.  Heck, I still have a G4 400
TiBook that works perfectly and it's fine with OS X 10.4.11, so Cubes
will do fine for my backups for a few years at least.

Oh, and I've worked with Cubes since I used a NeXT Cube back in the
early 90's.  Now that was a wonderful system for the time, and the OS
was years ahead of its time.  In fact, the NeXT OS lead directly to OS
X!  Parts of OS X STILL have the same code tags as the NeXT OS did.

George