[Cube] FireWire 400/800 Cable ...

David Iverson nebdave at me.com
Sat Mar 7 07:50:13 PST 2009

Yeah, but if you follow the changes in the structure architecture
going forward, the trend is away from separate controllers with nVidia
trying to commandeer a space in the processing from Intel - and Apple
seems to have bought into it.  I am not sure that the VRAM is as big
an issue as the availability of the GPU itself to take on some of the
chores farmed out in the past to additional controllers:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/02/21

I would expect that Intel will be (or probably already has in the
pipeline) offering newer (and hopefully better, much better) graphic
options; to this point it is not clear how much of their muscle they
have put on this development.  But I am sure that if they feel that
they are being challenged by another supplier (nVidia), I am sure they
will respond.  Based on the article referenced herein, there wouldn't
appear to be an overtaxation of memory to manage the bus for the SATA,
USB, Audio, Networking, & PCIe-WiFi.

I still have two cubes, both currently in hiatus, but will back up
running soon.  The real difference other than limited USB is the bus
speed, and even though you can get around the slower USB with FW400
alternatives, the ever accelerated bus and RAM speed is making the use
of the Cube more and more nostalgic for me than anything else.

It still rules the world of cool, even though they can run hot!  It
will remain ahead of its time forever if for no reason the radical
change it made for the rest of the computer world trapped inside the
beige box.  I am using MacBook Pro these days and my wife has a white
iMac that is a couple years old, and the ideas of managing space and
heat in all the new stuff is definitely the progeny of the Cube.

Dave Iverson