[Cube] Toasted Modem

Don Zahniser dzahniser at rochester.rr.com
Fri May 29 04:08:38 PDT 2009

Hi, All -

Tried to send this yesterday, but it didn't seem to go through...

This afternoon we had a thunderstorm roll through.  I normally keep
my modem on my Cube detached from the phone line, but I forgot that I
had had to send a fax a few days ago.  There was a lightning strike
nearby; we got a surge through the phone line, and probably the power
line as well.  I heard a 'bzzt' from the neighborhood of the Cube,
and thought I saw a flash.  After the storm passed by, I checked out
the Cube, and everything works except the modem.  I pulled the modem
out and took off the plastic sheath, and - lo and behold! - there is
carbon at the point where the phone line connector wires are
connected to the circuit board, and on the opposite side, between the
connector and what appears to be a grounding tab.

Obviously, I need a new modem if I am to continue to use the dial-up
and fax capabilities of my Cube.  So:

1) Anyone know if the internal modem from a Yikes or Sawtooth G4 will
work in a Cube, or

2) Does anyone know where I can get a replacement inexpensively?  I'm
out of work right now, and have to do everything 'on the cheap', or
not at all...

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

  - Don

--