[Cube] Cube Digest, Vol 57, Issue 2

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Mon Nov 16 17:47:00 PST 2009

I disagree with this.

I replaced my original G4 450 Cube with a G4 1.25GHz Mini.  The laptop
spec drive on the Mini failed within two years.  So, I bought another
G4 450 Cube off of eBay, put 1.5GB of RAM and a Twin View in it,
hooked it up to a lucite 23" Cinema HD Display, and am again happy as
a clam.  I also got the small Apple Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard, a
MiniStack external drive and USB/Firewire hub (With the D-Link
Bluetooth dongle), plus the Mighty Mouse with it.  It runs OS X
10.4.11 flawlessly, is quieter than the Mini (Still no fan), and
replacing drives when they fail is easy.  Of course, it has an
original AirPort card, so it connects via my AirPort Extreme BS
flawlessly, even with my newer computers connected at the same time (I
actually have an original G4 400 TiBook also, which is still mint and
going strong).

As a backup to my primary system and an entertainment system in my
bedroom, it's perfect.  I even have the old Firewire version of EyeTV
and my Sat system running into it, so I watch TV on it when I'm in
bed.  Lastly, I moved my old Digidesign M-Box to it, and it runs
ProTools LE 7.4 perfectly as well, letting me record basic tracks in
my bedroom for a change of environment from my main recording system.

The Cube is the coolest computer Apple ever made.  The Mini isn't.

As far as the processor upgrade, I think the SLOWEST Sonnet that will
allow OS X 10.5 to run on the Cube - the 1.2GHz - would be the way to
go.  The faster the hotter.  I see those pop up on eBay every now and
then, but always at a time when I'm short on cash in my PayPal
account.  LOL!

Pep