[Cube] Hello Cube-List!

Mac User #330250 macuser330250 at gmx.net
Mon Jun 6 13:37:00 PDT 2011

Hello!

I've finally found a Cube suitable for me, and now I'd like to introduce
myself!

I've been active for 2+ years on the LEM G-List with my Power Mac desktop
computers. I have them in my cellar, and getting to work with the Power Macs
has become complicated. So, for a year or so, the desire to get a Cube was
developing and I was watching eBay for quite some time to get one that is
cheap, yet in healthy working order!
The Cube is now on top of my Linux PC in the home office.

I've bought it for around 60 Euros, and it is in good optical condition. It
came only with the external PSU, nothing else.
I replaced the original 30 GB HDD with my 300 GB HDD. I use a modified
KeyLargoATA.kext that ignores the missing lba-48 Open Firmware property, thus
I have access to areas beyond 128 GB, which is one big partition labled
“Data”. Inside the 128 GB frame I have partitions for Mac OS 9 (“Classic”),
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther, 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard. When spare
time permits I will also install Jaguar, Panther and Classic.

For working I use Tiger and Leopard, although I noticed that 10.4 just rocks
even with as little as 450 MHz, whereas 10.5 feels a little slow, especially
with the graphical feedback.

The Cube has an ATI Radeon 7200 installed, it is listed as “Rage6” in System
Profiler. It has a fan.

I upgraded to 3×512 MB PC100/PC133 RAM modules giving it its maximum of 1.5 GB
of RAM.

The optical drive is not recognized at all. Maybe it is a loose connector or
so, I'll check this later. I don't really use CDs and DVDs all that much
anymore.
The disc that I put in it is stuck for now, as I don't know how to get it
ejected without a working eject key. (The key is working alright, but the
drive is not recognized… So it isn't doing anything…)

I'm planning on picking up some USB speakers, preferably the original Apple
Pro Speakers, but this is a matter of how much they cost and how much I'm
willing to pay. And I'm willing to pay as little as 20 Euros, but not > 50
Euros as they are sold on eBay these days.

So, apart from intoducing myself, I have these questions to the list (YOU!):

1) Are there any other USB speakers that are compatible (i.e. work in Mac OS
10.4+)?
2) How easy/hard is a processor upgrade? All hints are appreciated!
3) Should I try to upgrade the graphics card as well? Is there any no-fan card
that makes no problems, or is the fan a necessity?

You should know that I already have the following:
1) a Dual-450 MHz G4 7410 processor module from a G4 Gigabit Ethernet
2) a Dual-800 MHz G4 7450 processor module from a G4 Quicksilver
3) OWC Mercury Extreme G4/1.4-1.467GHz Processor Upgrade (NOT Cube)
4) a Dual-1GHz G4 7450 processor module from a G4 Quicksilver 2002 is about to
arrive soon (planned to go into the QS, replacing the Dual-800).

Maybe they are usable somehow. And if so, I may be able to “downclock” thus
remain fanless? Maybe?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250