[DigiCam] HD DV Cameras & Editing Software

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sun Apr 6 15:46:47 PDT 2003

Here's a new string I'm starting for any of you who are at NAB looking
into this new format(s) or who find articles about such stemming from
the announcements at NAB that are beginning today in Las Vegas (please
include links).

What I read last month about the JVC HD DV format was not all good
because it records just two MPEG-2 formats rather than an HD version of
DV. An MPEG 2 recording could be a problem for editors. That's where
Apple's FCP 4 comes in. I wonder if it will support new HD DV formats
right away or only high end "professional" formats of HD.

<http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/
features.jsp?tree=&searchModel=&model_id=MDL101394>
<http://www.2-pop.com/ubbthreads/
showflat.php?Cat=&Board=SonyDVCameras&Number=585493&page=0&view=collapse
d&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1>
<http://www.digitalproducer.com/2003/01_jan/news/01_20/jvc_hd.htm>
<http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/18/1/61>
<http://www.internetvideomag.com/News/News2003/02-03-03JVC-
HD_Camcorder.htm>
<http://videosystems.com/ar/video_dv_dead/>
<http://playbacktime.com/archives/000292.html>

So I am wondering what Sony, Panasonic, Canon and Apple have to say
about an alternative "Prosumer" format that will be supported by
professional editing software soon. Any of you who were under NDA until
today also please chime in.

I'm interested in a camera which can shoot both 24p and 30p @ 480/525p,
720p and 1080i wide 16:9 resolutions for less than $5K street that is
supported by Apple's Final Cut Pro 4. Maybe I'm asking for too much too
soon? Hope not.

Thanks all and welcome to the new world of HD DV.

Kunga