[DigiCam] Re: DigiCam for OCR

dennisfey at attbi.com dennisfey at attbi.com
Sun Jun 1 10:50:16 PDT 2003

Thanks for the guidelines.  I get confused about determining my resolution
requirement, because I work with just 2-bit (black/white) TIFF images,
which at 300dpi scanning are at no more than 100Kbytes
each.  Unfortunately, digicam mfr. specs appear dedicated to informing you
about the camera's capacity for 16bit+ color depth TIFF images, which are
very data intensive.

Now, only 300dpi is acceptable for my OCR.  Converting this to my
resolution requirement for a digicam gets me mucked up.   If I'm scanning a
8.5x11 page at 300dpi, this appears to be equivalent to 2550 pixels X 3300
pixels.  Now, this might mean I need a 8 million+ digicam for 16-bit color
shots, printable at 300dpi, but surely it doesn't mean I need that for
shooting 2-bit, b/w, 300dpi-equivalent TIFFs!

How do I determine my resolution requirement at 2-BIT (b/w), NOT 16-BIT
color depth?

Dennis