battery charge time, AA rechargeables

shouston at infinito.it shouston at infinito.it
Thu Jun 19 06:33:30 PDT 2003

on 19/06/2003 14:07, Digital Camera List at
DigiCam at lists.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> I have the Nikon 5000 which also takes the EN-EL1 battery. It will also
> take a lithium non rechargable but they are about $12 so I haven't
> tried it. However, I did buy 2 of the Lenmar replacements for the
> EN-EL1 and can not see any difference. And at about $20 each from an
> eBay vendor. I am also preparing for time away from a recharge. i am
> going to be in the Grand Canyon for 7 days so my requirements I think
> will be met by my 4 batteries charged before I leave. So far they seem
> to hold the charge pretty well. The 5000 is supposed to get 100 min at
> pretty much normal operating style.

Yes, it's the battery time of the Coolpix 885 that I find problematic. As I
said, I think the package is a good deal, and the camera itself has had
super reviews. But as another person was asking, what would you recommend
re. cameras that use AA rechargeables? This will be my second digicam, so I
don't have a lot of experience. One thing I always remembers experts saying
is, check the type of battery the camera uses, and be wary of ones with
proprietary batteries. Apart from the fact that the Nikon EN-EL1 is rated at
about 100 minutes (which I find incredibly limited), they sell for about 30
euros each in Europe. Which realistically means you'd want at least 3, at an
extra 60 euros, if you're out shooting for a whole day, without the chance
to recharge them. Suddenly the deal on the Coolpix is a little less
attractive.

I like the idea of AA rechargeables, as I already have a couple of 4-battery
rechargers for both NiMHs and NiCads, as well as several 4-packs of each
type. I could head out with my digicam and pack 4 sets of fully charged
replacements, which would get me thru the day and then some.

While I don't want to say that I'd buy a digicam based solely, or primarily,
on battery type, there has to be a happy medium.

That said, does anyone have any other recommendations for 3 Megapixel, 3x
optical zoom digicams that use AA batteries and cost around 250 euros (+
tax)?

Thanks.

Chris