[DigiCam] Re: recovering corrupt digital film images

June Parlett jparlett at gte.net
Sun Jun 29 13:08:37 PDT 2003

I have had two cards of the many cards I have used and re-used become
"corrupted"
By corrupted, I mean that the cards previously were working, contained
images, which had been viewed and deleted on the computer, and used
again, in the same manner, until such time as I would put one of the
cards in the computer, and viola, it would say, Unreadable, do you want
to format this disk [smart media card]?

So the card was working well before the corruption. Yes, and the second
time it occurred was at a SmartDisk booth at PhotoShop World 2002, when
man whose name I will not say was trying to demonstrate the ability of
the dual SmartDisk reader he was selling, to read my card, which I
pulled out of the camera and handed to him. Mind you, this was a brand
new disk with only a ton of images on it from the PhotoShop World
exposition, and I had just taken a photo at his booth, so when he could
not get it to work, because of whatever?, he gave me back the card, and
I continued to take photos. When I got home, to put the card into my
reader to download the images, I got the message, "unreadable, do you
want to format this disk?" So I emailed him three times, but he ignored
my email. I blamed the malfunction, of course on his reader. What do
you think. I normally use a Lexar reader, and i believe that I was
using a 32 mb Kingston smartcard. Do you think that could be the
problem? Various reader incompatibilities. These guy who was at the
booth, was not a demonstrator, but rather a computer guy from Smart
Disk, who was filling in for the Demonstrator of their products.
I have thought of going to Ritz camera and seeing if their reader could
read the images. I do not know how Data Rescue's PhotoRescue could
rescue images that no reader could read? They are probably on the disk,
but they cannot be seen by the reader.