[DigiCam] Thinking of a Coolpix 5700

Fred Keene fkeene at cablenet-va.com
Wed Nov 5 16:34:14 PST 2003

Earlier this year I was considering a Nikon Coolpix 5700 digital
camera.  But after much research, I decided to purchase a Minolta
DiMage 7Hi for the following reasons:

1. The Minolta zooms from 28-200 mm (by 35mm standards).  The Nikon
zooms a bit higher, but needs an expensive add on lens to get down to
a wide angle 28mm.  The Minolta zoom is the same as that on my
Minolta 35mm, but is done without the heavy extra zoom lens that I
have on the 35.

2. The Minolta can autofocus in very low light, whereas the Nikon
cannot focus even in moderately low light.  This was a big negative
for the Nikon as it is for my Coolpix 950.

3. The Minolta can take filters (like for protecting the lens), but
the Nikon cannot accommodate a filter.

4. Both have electronic viewfinders giving a non-parallax view
similar to a SLR camera, but only the Minolta viewer can see in low
light.  The reviews stated that the Minolta viewfinder could view
items in almost total darkness, items that even the eye could not
distinguish.  This was a big plus for the Minolta.

The only significant negative of the Minolta is that the reviews
mention that some types of pictures show more "noise" than the Nikon.
But, I looked at a lot of pictures taken with both, and it was hard
to perceive much difference in what they call "noise". If necessary,
I expect this can be corrected with Photoshop.
And...the Minolta was somewhat more expensive than the Nikon.

I have been totally satisfied with the Minolta DiMage 7Hi

If you care to look at reviews on the Minolta go to:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/print.asp?review=minoltadimage7hi
and/or
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/dimage7hi_pg6.html

I believe these sites have also reviewed the 5700.

I ordered the Minolta from 17th Street Photo in NYC.  Their price was
somewhat higher than others, but this place had very high ratings (on
Bizrate.com) from many who ordered from them.  And they sell only US
warranted products, no "grey" stuff.  Many of those with lower prices
had terrible consumer ratings.