[DigiCam] Re: 4 megapixel ok for 8"x10" prints?

Steve Kane skane at skaneco.com
Fri Nov 28 08:16:00 PST 2003

On Thursday, November 27, 2003, at 02:30  PM, Kurt Appling wrote:

> re; I often printout 8x10 from a 2.1 mp nikon and results and details
> are excellant,you should have no problem

On Thursday, November 27, 2003, at 01:16  PM, Stuart Franey wrote
off-list:

>  Look on www.steves-digicams.com for sample images and print one.

Thanks to all who replied. I looked more closely at the reviews and
downloaded some sample images taken with the Olympus C 750 UZ from
steves-digicams. For some reason it had not occurred to me that the
images posted on the review sites would be the actual camera-produced
files (duh). I printed a couple full frame 8"x10" which looked great,
and then cropped a horizontal to vertical (as being a typical crop) and
printed it to 8"x10" again and it still looked great. I think I will
buy it from a local store that permits 7 day exchanges, just in case. I
can think of two things that might put off a first time digital camera
user:
1) the electronic viewfinder
2) the lack of a focus assist light
Or my step-son might decide he wants something more pocketable.
This camera gift falls into that special gift category that is  above
expectations and is intended to last many years, as opposed to the
usual shirt, sweater or tie, so I want it to be a good fit.