I'm ready to try again...Tropical camcorder stories?

Mark Baumwell mab_public at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 12:08:45 PDT 2004

First, thanks to Eric the ListMom for shutting off the
infinite loop guy that launched the denial of service
on the list. It reminds -- potently -- that you should
not set up an email auto-responder when you are
subscribed to a list without taking the right actions
beforehand.

Anyway: here is what I had posted back then, but since
the gentleman's auto-responder flooded the list,
perhaps a lot of people missed it.

As an update, since then, I've chosen to buy a Canon
ZR90. I still would like your advice and anecdotes.

Has anyone used a Canon ZR80, 85, or 90 in the tropics
or humid areas? How did it work? On the digital camera
front, how about a Nikon Coolpix 5700 or 8700?

If you reply to the list, please trim my post to only
the above paragraph to cut down on the posting size.
Thanks!

-- Original post --

I need to buy a camera to take to the tropics (rain
forest) as well as to the Caribbean, where you get
corrosive humid air.

I realize the life span of a camera in these
conditions would be expectedly shorter than normal,
but at the least I want to take a camcorder to the
Amazon and have it last for 3 weeks (I don't expect to
be back there soon!).

Obviously, camcorders have doors to insert tapes, as
well as other places moisture can get it, but I'm
hoping people on the list have had some positive (or
negative) experiences with cameras in the tropics.

I am looking to buy a Canon ZR80, 85 or 90. Canon
claims these cameras have an operating temperature
range of range of 2-104°F (0-40°C), but they do not
have specs for relative humidity (I searched the web
and called their tech support line).

On the digital camera front:

I did buy an Olympus 410 because it is quite
reasonably waterproof (has rubber o-rings around the
door you open to get to the xD card, and apparently
waterproofs the buttons and telescoping lens). I
figure it will last through the Amazon trip. It's a
very nice point-and-shoot that

However, I'd like to get a more powerful camera with
better zoom and features, yet one that is still much
smaller than a full-sized digital SLR (I'm traveling
light, backpack and one carry-on bag). I am partial to
two Nikons: the Coolpix 5700 and the Coolpix 8700, but
want your advice.

If anyone would like to comment on the suitability of
the ZR90 or either of the Coolpixxes for the
rainforest, please let me know!