[DigiCam] Slide scanners

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Thu Feb 5 17:46:23 PST 2004

On Thursday, February 5, 2004, at 01:55  PM, Mike Cameron wrote:

> The Coolscan 4000 looked very interesting but it looks like it has
> been discontinued and replaced by the 5000.

If you still want the 5000, check Nikon's site. They still had some and
were selling at discount. Maybe they are all gone now? But I don't see
the point since the new ones are probably as good or better and cost
half as much.

> Has anyone seen any reviews of this new unit?  It is USB 2 instead of
> firewire.  Don't know if that matters as most new Macs have USB.

You can add a USB 2 card or I believe you can use USB 1.1. Newest Macs
have USB 2. Right after I got my 4000 (several years ago when FireWire
was added), a comparison between the FireWire and USB versions showed
essentially no difference in speed due to the connection.

Be aware that there are 2 nasty bugs in the Nikon scanning software and
they are in no hurry to fix them.

1. There is a memory leak. You can live with this if you have lots of
memory and quit the program every so often. You have to reboot the
machine to get all of your memory back. This is definitely scheduled
for the next update (sometime in the first half of this year).

2. More uncertain is the bug that introduces image glitches into the
scanned image. It's supposed to happen only on dual processor Macs. I
had about a 25% rate of glitches. It looks like two 4-pixel strips are
interchanged. In some cases, you can swap them in Photoshop and make
the image appear mostly OK, but not perfect. (You would only do this if
you didn't have or couldn't easily find the slide. Otherwise, check
immediately and redo the scan. It's unpredictable when it will happen.)
I didn't see it until I started zooming in to fix red eyes. I redid a
lot of the slides on an iMac and saw the glitch twice (and I wasn't
expecting it so I didn't really check all of the rescans).

I bought the SilverScan software ($300) and couldn't get as good of a
scan as I could with the Nikon software. Maybe the SilverScan software
is capable of equal or better scans, but I don't have an hour or more
to fiddle on each scan when I have thousands to scan.

While I think the Nikon may be one of the better scanners, their
attitude toward fixing bugs is horrible and cost me many hours of
rework (finding the bad scans, finding the slide that had to be
rescanned, redoing it and all the work that goes with final
preparation). You might want to look at another manufacturer. I don't
have anyone in particular to suggest.

Oh, and by the way, I don't know if these bugs are specific to OS X. At
least half of my work was done in OS 9. I've probably scanned about
6000 slides and 2500 negatives in the last few years.

Shirley