cleaning permanent marker off of a duo

Marc also at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 5 07:05:19 PST 2002

>I have a powerbook duo with some unwanted permanent marker writing on
>the back side of the display casing near the apple logo.
>
>I repeatedly poured small amounts of  99% isopropyl alcohol on the
>permanent marker stain  and wiped the area with a cloth. The permanent
>marker faded a lot however it faintly remains.
>
>Has anyone been able to completely remove permanent marker off of a duo?

Steven,

Shipped equipment all over the world, and often customs would write
on the custom plastic packing crates.

Between their markings and the residue from labels, sticky tape and
duct tape, our favourite cleaner was WD-40. Hate to think what was in
it, but it did the job nearly every time, without any obvious damage.

Obviously, not worth the risk of spraying directly at your machine,
but rather spray onto a soft rag and gently rub.

For the tougher stuff, we'd lay a little kitchen towel on the area,
wet it with WD-40 and leave it in place for a while. After some time
you'd usually find it all easy to wipe off.

** BUT ALWAYS CHECK THAT THE PARTICULAR CLEANER YOU ARE USING DOES
NOT AFFECT THE PLASTIC BY TRYING IT ON A HIDDEN CORNER FIRST! **

Good luck.

Marc