2400c wireless survey: what works?

Edward Nilges nilges at hotpop.com
Sat Dec 7 11:41:18 PST 2002

I know some people have run into trouble with this, so before I go shopping
for a new wireless card I'd like to take a survey of what does work. Please
include:

the name of your card
relevant upgrades to your machine, especially Cardbus
your OS
which driver, Airport or 3rd party
any tricks needed to make it work

Here's my story in case anyone can offer assistance or general
commiseration:

I have a WaveLAN Silver out of an old Airport, whose functionality I haven't
yet been able to verify on another machine. My 2400c is not Cardbus enabled
as far as I know. I'm running OS 9.1. The card worked beautifully for a
couple of days with the Orinoco drivers that happened to be left on the hard
drive by the previous owner, then its data transmission seemed to grind to a
halt, but the signal strength showed up fine.

I then performed a clean install of 9.1, and used Tomeviewer to extract the
Airport files according to the instructions at
http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Airport12OS86.html It worked very
briefly, and then not at all. One light would go on when I inserted the
card, but then when I turned it on via the control strip, both lights would
blink a couple times and then go out.

Finally I installed the latest Orinoco drivers from ftp.orinocowireless.com
which picked up a signal only once and now not at all.

So I'm starting to suspect the card itself.

Thanks,
Ed