cleaning permanent marker off of a duo

Stephen Kenda sk at interlog.com
Mon Dec 9 13:03:24 PST 2002

Greetings,

The response from people on this list to my question on how to erase
permanent marker off of a duo casing gave much food for thought and i
decided to take another run at cleaning off the writing on the outside
back of the display case. This time I suceeded.

Before I had tried to wipe the marks off with 99% isopropyl alcohol
using a toothbrush, cotton swab and  a cloth. This got the marks to fade
but not disappear. I decided to use significantly more elbow grease.
The area in question was one by three inches. It had  marker writing on
it. I took the back of the display case off of the duo. I put a rubber
glove on my hand. I dipped a cotton swab in the alcohol. With the side
of the cotton swab sandwiched between the display case and my thumb, i
vigourously rubbed the marked area. This would leave a bit of marker on
the swab. About ten to fifteen two-ended swabs later, I could not detect
any permanent marker on the case. The side effect is that the texture of
the  duo casing in the one by three inch area was removed leaving a
shiny smooth area. But that's fine with me. It looks infinitely better
than with the marker on it.

So I must thank you the many people who offered suggestions, insights,
and words of experience on erasing permanent marker. It gave me the
encouragement to get the job done.

cheers,

stephen kenda