why the network connection is so slow

chuck goolsbee cglist at mac-mgrs.org
Wed Dec 11 22:47:00 PST 2002

>On topic, I have a newly acquired, from e-bay(.au) of course, 2300c which
>I'm having fun integrating into my non-mac  based hame LAN - a great leaning
>experience and a cute machine - now if I can just work out why the network
>connection is so slow ....
>Merçi
>Doug

Maybe the 10Mhz bus between that CPU and the ethernet card? =)
(or was the enet on the 33?Mhz PDS bus? I can't remember... all my
Duo spec knowledge popped off my stack.)

You may have a duplexing issue on the switch-side of the connection.
The Duo pre-dates auto-sensing ethernet ports, which all modern
networking gear has... a lot of them get into long, drawn-out
one-sided "conversations" with older hardware trying to get them to
auto-sense the network speed and duplex settings... which of course
your Duo ignores... causing the switch to just ask more. =)

If the network gear is "managed" you can usually "force' the port to
stay on 10base/T, half duplex... which will make the Duo happy and
productive.

--
--chuck goolsbee
geek wrangler,   digital.forest inc,   bothell, wa  <http://www.forest.net>