english english

chuck goolsbee cglist at mac-mgrs.org
Fri Dec 13 06:27:20 PST 2002

>I remember years ago, when I was a freshman in college, I wrote in
>one of my papers that American English was not english at all but a
>language that was very similar to English ( the Queen's English as
>it is called here - will they change it to King's English when
>Charles or Harry become King?). The professor was not amused. I

heh, as an American who lived in England for a few years, I can tell
you that while the written language is similar enough to be
understandable, the spoken language is *very* different... and I am
not just referring to accent either.

I spent a couple of years there... the first eight months alone
(without my family) and all during those months I used to go to
American movies on the weekends so that I could relax and not work so
hard at *listening*. =)

I actually felt more "at home" in Munich than I ever did in London.

WRT the "hearing of other languages" I have a story:

I was standing on the Shepherd's Bush platform of the Hammersmith &
City Line tube station one Friday night waiting for a train to
Paddington, and home... unlike many of the London tube stations this
one is elevated rather than underground. It was late in the evening
and in the alley behind the platform there was a row of houses and
one of them had a loud party with music and many people, obviously
from west Africa, loudly carrying on. The only other people on the
platform with me were two veiled south asian women, and one older
looking English guy in his 60's or so. He looked like a lifetime
clerk - a post office employee or the like. As he ambled by me he
cocked his head in the direction of the noise and muttered in a
east-ender accent: "You wouldn't even know we were in England anymore
would ya?"

I was taken aback at first, as I always felt that I stood out as
being very "different" when in the UK... but then I smiled a
smart-ass smile and putting on my flattest Pacific Northwesterner's
accent said:
"yeah, I guess not."

The look on his face was *priceless*

The icing on the cake, was when the train arrived he & I walked into
the same car, and I watched him as he looked around a sea of black &
brown faces, and went to the center of the car where the only group
of white ones were and sat down in the middle of the group of
blonde-haired students... who as soon as the doors closed and the
train started moving resumed their loud conversation:

In Dutch!

I thought his head was going to explode.

--
--chuck goolsbee
geek wrangler,   digital.forest inc,   bothell, wa  <http://www.forest.net>