Choice between Duo 2300c and 2400c

Marc Sira toh at victoria.tc.ca
Mon Dec 16 18:12:35 PST 2002

> I have seen a couple of these generation Powerbooks where the screen
> quality was washed out and blue cast, nothing to write home about. I
> wanted to know if the 2400 suffered from these problems as well.

The 2400's screen has pretty good contrast, bright and not at all washed
out. At "thousands of colors" it has much better contrast than any of the
colour Duos (whose screens lose contrast and become visibly darker at the
higher depth).

It is fairly bluish as LCD screens go. On mine I used the Adobe Gamma control
panel to lower the apparent white point to about 7500K (starting from the
PB2400c profile supplied with the OS) with good results - window borders went
back to being neutral grey instead of blue tinted. The definitions of "blue"
and "white" vary greatly depending on the observer and setting, though.

> 2400c display: 10.4" 16-bit 800x600 color dual-scan or active matrix

There aren't actually any dual-scan 2400 Powerbooks (or Duos - the passive
greyscale ones are single-scan). I think the 1400 came with the choices
above, in a slightly larger screen (the dual-scan one was actually pretty
nice, though probably with reduced actual colour depth - less of those
ambiguous "thousands" to play with ;).

Marc Sira		|	toh at victoria.tc.ca
If you can't play with words, what good are they?