[Duo2400] Re: Duo/2400 List - where we all are

chuck goolsbee cglist at mac-mgrs.org
Tue Dec 17 09:28:54 PST 2002

>I'm based on a farm on the edge of nowhere in South Wales which is a
>subsidiary of the UK. We produce things like Anthony Hopkins and Catherine
>Zeta Jones, though not in any great volume.

...and great dinners with friendly people.

When my family arrived in the UK our possessions were still on a ship
somewhere and we had no furniture in our house. So we took a week's
holiday in Wales.

We spent 6 or so days put-puting along in a canal boat from
Abergavenny to Breacon and back. (pictures and story up on my website
<http://www.goolsbee.org/pics.html>) The weather was awful, but
everyone we met was *so* nice to us. For example we were buying
groceries in a small village (IIRC Llangattock?) and were soaking wet
from walking down from the canal (which was oddly perched on a steep
hill.) A local offered us a ride back to our boat, and then halfway
there invited us to dinner at his home. He drove back down to the
boat later than night and drove us all up to his place (on old farm),
treated us to a fabulous dinner, great conversation, and way too much
wine for my wife & I. =) After which he drove us "home" for the night.

It was a great intro to the UK which, unfortunately oversold us on
native hospitality. The Brits, unlike the Welsh, were not nearly as
friendly and despite the numerous people we had over for dinner,
never received a reciprocal invite. Oh well. Anyway, I have a soft
spot for you Welsh folk.

To stay on topic, in case you didn't already know, I live in the US,
in the pacific northwest specifically.

--
--chuck goolsbee
geek wrangler,   digital.forest inc,   bothell, wa  <http://www.forest.net>