[Duo2400] Re: Question for 2400 OSX users

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 16:29:34 PST 2002

I'm assuming you were kidding about this, but indeed there'd be no reason
for Ram Doubler X. Ram Doubler worked by taking advantage of RAM that was
reserved for a given application but not being used, due to 9's woefully
inefficient memory management. So like if Word was set to use 8,000K, but
6,000 of that was sitting around unused, RAM Doubler would give it to
another application.

In X, which has far more modern memory management, you'd never need
something like that; applications don't reserve memory for themselves in
the same way. Further, unlike the 9 model, there is no formal memory
limit; you can launch applications forever and you'll never get an out of
memory error. It's just that all the VM thrashing will bring your machine
to a crawl. And for that reason, you're right that even with 112 MB
Classic is a no go. (I'd say 256 MB is a bare minimum for Classic use.)

Ivan.