[Duo2400] Re: Question for 2400 OSX users

Larry Friedman larry.s.f at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 18 20:50:57 PST 2002

This is my understanding of how RamDoubler worked (this is from using
several versions and a bunch of company faqs).

Lets say you have 100 megs of ram. Ram Doubler 8 gave you 300 megs
(later versions tripled instead of doubled). Now you could only assign
a program as much ram as you physically had, but, and this is the
biggie, it no longer mattered that your OS needed 40 megs. You could
still assign Photoshop 100 megs instead of only 60, and with triple the
ram you still had 160 left for your other programs. Lets see, SF =
40mb, Pshop = 100mb, Freehand = 50, Quark = 50 and enough left over for
Maelstrom, Fetch, Eudora and Newswatcher. Not too shabby for a Mac with
only 100 megs of ram.

Therefore OSX on a machine with limited resources wouldn't be juggling
these resources between a greedy system and program(s) but rather
devote all 100 to the OS and still have a lot left over for other
tasks. At the very least it would allow you to run Classic and one or
two other apps efficiently.

The fact that system-bloat didn't cut into my available ram was the
main reason I started using RD, I no longer had to be frugal with how
much useless crap was in my SF (bring it on AfterDark). Considering how
crafty the RD programmers were and how well OSX manages memory I'm sure
that RamDoubler X would be fantastic for earlier Powerbooks trying to
run OSX. PS. My 2400 should be arriving friday, I'm very excited.

~ Larry