bundle of quickie replies... ala /.

chuck goolsbee cglist at mac-mgrs.org
Wed Dec 18 21:18:24 PST 2002

Drew Johnson, Captain FedEx-Ret, Captain USNR-Ret wrote:
>>"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the
>>citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a
>>double-edged sword. It emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the
>>mind. And when the drums of war have reached fever pitch, and the
>>blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have
>>no need to seize the rights of liberty. Rather, the citizenry,
>>infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up their
>>rights unto the leader, and gladly so."
>>
>They were probably spoken by Vladimir Lenin <g> -or Karl Marx

or perhaps one of Lenin's countrymen, who also said:

"Politics is the seedbed of social enmity,  evil suspicions,
shameless lies,  morbid ambitions,  and disrespect for the
individual. Name anything bad in man, and it is precisely in
the soil of political struggle that it grows with abundance."
                               --Maxim Gorky, April 20, 1917

One of my mailsigs actually. I like it a lot, being a somewhat
apolitical guy. =)

>>At 19:55 +0000 12/18/02, Tom Phippen wrote:
>>>hampshire, UK, nothing of note really
>>
>>Also Hampshire UK, (Aldershot) Even less of note here ;-)
>
>I'm about 25 miles away, in Whitchurch which is between Andover and
>Basingstoke.

heh... I refereed some real live professional ice hockey games in
Basingstoke, of all places. Hard to believe I know. =)

At 14:32 +0900 12/18/02, Philip Lord wrote:
>I am running OSX on my 2400 G3 400mhz with 80meg of ram. I have
>recently purchased a 96meg RAM chip which will arrive in about a
>week. My question is...How much faster is OSX with 112meg than with
>80meg? Has anyone experienced both?

uh...a whole lot slower than a TiBook or new iBook, with
128/256/512/1GB available at much lower cost.

Yeah, I know, I am being *way* too practical! =)

At 20:41 +0200 10/30/02, Sidney Ho wrote:
>Project 2400-700mhz was approved for research expenditures
>and now really has gone into engineering so final feasibility will be
>determined in about 6 weeks. There are two cache possibilities at 256kb and
>512kb inline. Maybe it'll be good Xmas news.

Anyone hear from Sidney Ho *lately*? News on that CPU Upgrade possibility?
He seems to have been sucked into a work-related black hole
(something I am often guilty of as well!)

Sounds like Sidney needs a vacation, and I have just the right
idea... it should only take one lap. =)

(inside joke... should prompt a whinny straight from the horse's mouth! =)

--chuck

(here is another great mailsig...)