[Duo2400] need some drive tech help

Fabian Fang ftf at mac.com
Sat Dec 28 13:51:08 PST 2002

On Saturday, Dec 28, 2002, at 11:11AM, Drew Johnson <captain_drew at alphabreeze.net> wrote:

>  I have recently come into possession of a neat, almost new APS
>external hard drive case, apparently made for PowerBooks/Laptops.
>
>If you are familiar with the wonderful product line by Applied
>Peripherals Systems (APS) you know the craftsmanship and
>indestructibility built into these cases.
>
>This case is the standard PowerBook "gray"; it is smaller than the usual
>external case (9"x 6" x 1.5") for portability; it only has one (vice the
>usual 2) 50-pin SCSI port on the back and comes with a 110v to 9v
>transformer/power adapter.
>
>I knew it was smaller than the regular cases, but I figured they had
>engineered it so that I could simply drop one of the many Quantum or
>Seagate SCSI drives I use to upgrade the regular external cases. Not so.
>When I opened the case, I found it did not look at all like the standard
>cases. There could be, but there is not room enough to put a "standard"
>3.5 drive in there, not to mention the wiring is not what I am used to
>either. The SCSI connector is a 50-pin, but somewhat smaller than the
>standard internal connector, so I might have to find a connector too.

>The guy who sold it to me was not very helpful in trying to figure out
>what kind of a drive will fit in there -nor were the folks as APS -
>other than to say it probably will take a "narrow", 2.5" drive, like the
>type in early PowerBooks. I need to figure out what kind of a drive will
>fit in this case and THEN .. find one somewhere.
>
>Do any of you Lististas have any ideas on what and where I can find a
>drive to put in here? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.

I have a case just like yours, which I bought from APS years ago for the original hard drive from my PowerBook 100.  The Quantum drives for early PowerBooks, as you wrote, fit in there.  Because it only has one SCSI connector in the back, it has to be at end of a SCSI chain.

What size drives do you have in mind?  I may still have one or two brand-new Quantum drives that I collected for my PB 100.