Saga of the Dark Screen

Jackie Lund jackie_lund at jmlgraphics.com
Sun Dec 29 15:21:45 PST 2002

I wrote a while back about installing a new screen on my 2300c, and that it
was almost black (very dark, you could just barely make out the desktop).
After doing numerous adjustments, switching the bulb, inverter board etc. I
finally tried installing another screen which I knew to be functional.

Guess what, it's also black. So, now I know it's not the screen, it's
something in the computer itself. It was working fine when I had the
original cracked screen on it, and then I remembered that I had swapped out
the memory card and I don't think I'd turned it back on after that. It came
with a 40M RAM chip in it, and I swapped it for a 20M chip which was in my
other 2300. I'm wondering now if that's causing the screen failure for some
reason. I don't remember which OS was installed on it, I think it was 8.5
but if it was 8.6 (which can't run on less than 36M RAM) would that prevent
it from working? Or could it be another memory problem? I know the  memory
was working since it was in my other 2300.

Any stray thoughts (which is about all I have left on this problem) as to
what may be the cause would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jackie