2400 Memory?

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Mon Dec 30 21:41:14 PST 2002

On 12/30/02 "Andrew Butitta" <dragoth at dragoth.net> wrote:

>SO-DIMM is only referring to the packaging of the DRAM modules. It's the
>access methods that the chips employ that really matters in cases like these.
>
>I'm looking at the RAM module for my Panasonic Toughbook, and it says that it
>takes 3v EDO 144-pin SODIMMs... If this is the same RAM as the 2400c, then
>there is a distinct possibility that higher RAM limits could be found for the
>laptop of choice on this list...
>
>Here's a good start:
>http://www.memorygalaxy.com/showroom/3381.cfm
>
>I know it says 'proprietary' as the ram type, but i'm looking at my 32MB
>module right now, and it says it's an EDO SO-DIMM, 3-volt, 144-pin (SO-DIMM
>standard).
>
>Here's hoping... If this turns out to be true, I may have to collect myself a
>2400... :)
>
>-Andrew

I've long wondered about this very thing. Reading the 2400's devnote a
couple of years ago, I noted the 3v EDO SODIMM requirement and did some
searching to see what sizes were available. The largest I could find at
the time was 64mbs. 3v EDO modules are pretty much a standard item, and
since the 2400 was designed for this very type of ram . . . but having no
2400 (then or now) I didn't follow up.

Today this search pulled up a bunch of 128MB (and smaller) modules:

<http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&SortProperty=MetaNewSor
t&query=edo+sodimm&sr=n&ht=1&combine=y&st=2>

So will these 128s work in a 2400? Will one of these 64s work in a 2400?
Anyone want to buy-'n'-try? At ~US$60 for a 128MB module and ~US$25 for a
64MB module, it would be a _breakthrough_ for PB2400 owners to find out
they do work!

Inquiring minds want to know,

Dan K