[Duo2400] Another busted 2400..Advise Requested Please

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Tue Dec 31 06:53:44 PST 2002

Jonathan, you can always replace the trackpad cable.  The wild card
is why you got the GLOD(Green Light of Death).  I wouldn't think it
is related to the cable, but anything is possible, since it's part of
the circuit.

Cable sources:
Others on the DuoList,
Sun Remarketing http://www2.sunrem.com/sun02.w?cat=PowerBook%202400c
PowerBook Guy: http://www.powerbookguy.com/2400.html#serviceparts
	Though neither list it....I'd call/email and ask.

I'd replace the cable and then try some of the GLOD fixes in Sidney's article.
http://webobjects.uwaterloo.ca/mac2400/ : Hardware:Repair:GLOD

If that doesn't work you should be able to part it out without any
problems.  DT&T does repair work, but figure around $300, once you've
paid for shipping both ways.
http://www.dttservice.com/services.html

What G3 card is in there?

>Another sad story.
>
>I was replacing the keyboard on a working 2400, carefully following
>instructions found and given to me. Upon removing the trackpad and
>palm rest assembly I damaged the connecting orange/gold ribbon cable
>that is held on the underside. I snapped off like as though it was
>very brittle. At first I did not notice the damage so I installed
>the new keyboard and put the machine back together only to find that
>it would not boot up. However the green light in the white
>translucent release was lighted up. In fact this light did not go
>out even when I unplugged the ac adapter and removed the battery.
>
>IS this machine worth repairing? Its a great little machine with a
>g3 upgrade and acceptable RAM. and what is the extent of the damage?
>Is there mother board damage as that little green light staying on
>freaks me out? Or is this machine a candidate for being parted out
>and cutting my losses...
>
>All advice is greatly appreciated, I am a veteran mac tinkerer, but
>this is my first 2400, and it poses...shall we say unique challenges.
>
>With lots of platonic love,
>Jonathan

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.