Hilfe Gesucht

ELN/rlf9 rlf9 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 28 06:02:54 PST 2002

>Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:12:23 -0700
>From: Roger Gouin <roger at islandnet.com>
>Subject: [Duo2400] Re: Hilfe Gesucht
>
>The best way I've found to run multiple startup partitions is to use=20
>something like Hard Disk Toolkit=81 to format and password protect at=20
>least the first partition (if only two) then if you want to startup=20
>with the 2nd, just hit return instead of entering the password. You=20
>have to mount the 1st volume later but that's no big deal.
>
>btree errors can be caused by a number of things.
>Netscape 4 is suspect, but you might have an extension problem, like=20
>objectsupportlib that needs updating to v1.2.
>
>Also Norton 3.2 is an early version that may be fixing one thing but=20
>not fixing the cause. It should be rerun over the same disk until it=20
>finds nothing to fix. You are repairing it when it is not the startup=20
>disk I presume? If you're fixing it while it's the startup disk,=20
>chances are it's not being fixed as reported.

Adding to Roger's words: Try replacing Norton 3.2 with Norton 3.5x which
came on CD only and was much better at fixing underlying causes. Even
Norton 5 might work on the more recent Systems. But avoid all versions of
Norton 4 which was a true disaster in itself.

Also, old TechTool 2.5.5 (or thereabouts) provides a solid alternative to
Norton when it comes to fising the more stubborn problems.

Bob F