[Duo2400] GLOD it seems on my 2400

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Tue Apr 1 17:49:50 PST 2003

Bon, my thoughts FWIW:

DT&T	$150
Shipping both ways:	$40+
$200 minimum for repair.
The DT&T is just replacing your I/O board with one they previously
repaired..which is fine, just don't think you are getting a 'new' one.

If you like your 2400, the $200 is probably worth it.  I wouldn't add
a G3($300-500) on top of the repair cost, not with iBooks under
$1000. Thought you could drop a 20GB drive in there at the same time
for the cost of the HD, maybe $100 max...but only if you really need
the room.

Conversely you could shop for a 2400 similar to yours. Used 2400s are
selling for what, $250-300 or less?, maybe without the RAM or most
likely without the bigger HD....but you could then part yours out or
sell it DOA for $100. Net cost reduced..and yes it may GLOD also,
then you just do it again...as 2400s drop in price. The options vary
a bit if you know how to swap memory or HD yourself and it's just the
logic board repair you're stuck on.

This gets to be a harder question as the 2400 really begins to show
its age, but then again it's a killer machine for what it will do for
$300 or so. ;-)

To really complicate your choices there's a 2400/G3 on eBay with a
$500 Buy it Now price. I'm not a big fan of the Newer G3, but this
seems like a nice bundle for the price. (Caveat, I have no personal
knowledge of the machine)
	http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3410476141&categor
y=14908

Heck I've got three 2400s, two of which I probably ought to sell,
just can't get my Garage Sale list built for the mac2400 For Sale
page.

Well, I did say FWIW.... :-)

Good luck...

>oh dear, my 2400c finally got the GLOD
>
>This is a stock 2400 in very nice shape with 80 mb ram and a 10gb
>toshiba drive (from ti-book).
>i don't have a g3 in it. but i do have a 2nd battery and a nice
>wireless card and a dockking staiton for it
>
>DTT , Brian, says he is 99% sure it is the I/O board. I assume this
>is the same power I/O board others have had replaced. He says $150
>and i should be up and running.
>If i had a G3 upgrade to install now would certainly be the time to add one.
>
>Anyone got any G3 upgrades , or any other fixes i can attempt?
>
>It seems to me that if i were to get another of these $300 2400's
>from ebay or this list that i would be getting the same old powerI/O
>board and not a new one.
>
>ANy thoughts on the viability of this old 2400?
>thanks...
>Bon

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.