[Duo2400] Re: Rocket in a Duo Dock Plus?

Andrew W. Hill jessicat at jmug.org
Wed Apr 2 13:03:03 PST 2003

>  >Would I have to junk 7.5.x on the Duo and go back to 7.1.x?
>
>Think that they worked better under 7 than under 7.5 & up.  Haven't had mine
>running for a looooong time.....wanna play with one?

Use with 7.1.  7.5 is doable but....

>  >Would it still network well with my other Macs via Ethernet, if I did
>>downgrade the system?
>>Is there a particular Rocket that I should avoid - or install?
>
>IIRC the Rocket was only an '040 at either 25 or 40 mhz.....I could be wrong,
>tho. (heh, just ask my wife....I'm ALWA

Radius Rocket - 25 or 33MHz
Radius Stage II Rocket - 40MHz
Big difference between the two.

>  >Would a Rocket increase the speed of my machine when docked?
>>Would it boot up as a separate virtual computer?
>>Well, as you can see, I've lots of questions. Anyone got answers?
>  >Should I join the Rocketeers list and leave you all alone?

I'm selling Stage II Rockets with Dan Knight, so most of my knowledge
is based on them.

The original Rockets could be used either as an accelerator or as a
separate machine.  In separate machine mode, it works as a network of
computers using Classic Networking.  Using OT will not work.  The
StageIIs can ONLY be used in multicomputer mode.   Here's how I would
do it:  Internal hard disk in dock with a 7.1 partition.  With two
Stage IIs, you then allocate your intensive stuff to those.  When
you're just doing WP, boot from a different partition (either the
regular laptop disk or another partition on the nternal.  Stage II
Rockets are insanely cool.  Its like having a bunch of computers and
a KVM, but with the same disk access.  You can have one processor say
doing a batch image convert from TIFF to JPEG or something and the
other one set to take them, embedd them in HTML and upload.
Meanwhile, you still have the main Duo to continue with editing and
minor detail work, or something unrelated like ICQ or word
processing.  There is a bit of overhead to run the rockets, but its
just cool to see these work.  You could probably write a distributor
in TurboC to actually multithread tasks.

And yeah, Rockets are finicky little beasts.  You want to join the
Rocketeer list as well.

Hope that helps.  If ya wanna buy Stage IIs, get in touch with me.
Partial proceeds (approx 33% of profits) to Dan Knight of LowEndMac.

Andrew